We would like to thank you for using our services. If this is your first time using our service, and you have questions, please continue reading to see if your question has been answered. If you find that the below frequently asked questions did not help, you can contact us, for assistance with your bill.

What is needed?

Our EMS crews will, depending on the care you need, ask you to sign a Release Authorization. This authorization can be signed by either the patient or a responsible party (parent, Power of Attorney, etc.).

In some cases, a physician’s certification statement signed by the doctor that ordered the transport or that saw the patient in the emergency room maybe required. This is complete after your care or release from a hospital. Our billing vendor will assist you with this process.

I have HMO, Medicare or Medicaid insurance, can you bill them directly?

We do submit claims to various insurance companies. There are many steps to this process, which if not handled immediately will result in a delay of receiving your payment. We need to have a signed authorization release. Once we have this information, your claim will be submitted manually or electronically.

I was in a car accident – how is that billed?

If you were transported as a result of a motor vehicle crash, your medical expenses are covered under the No-Fault portion of your vehicle’s insurance. New York Law requires that the claim be submitted to the insurance carrier within 45 days of the accident.

I was injured on the job and I received a bill, why is that?

Please ask your employer to contact our billing vendor immediately regarding this. We need to have your workers compensation carrier information.

I received a bill for a “Paramedic Intercept”, will my insurance cover this?

Gates Volunteer Ambulance also provides “flycar” services to surrounding volunteer services. This service is not just limited to the Town of Gates. Typical reasons for this vehicle to respond include providing a higher level of care than what might be available at that particular time (the vehicle is staffed with a ALS Technician).

Not all volunteer ambulance services have advanced life support services. Depending on the type of call, we are required to have an advanced life support EMT respond and evaluate the patient to see if there is a need for advanced life support. EMS agencies are required by state and local protocol to have ALS respond to certain type of calls.

If you received a bill from Gates Volunteer Ambulance for this service, we were requested by the transporting ambulance service or the Monroe County 911 center.

In many cases, insurance companies do not cover “Intercept” charges. If you have a question about an assist charge, your first phone call should be to your insurance company to see if they cover it. If they do cover it and you need assistance in submitting it, please contact our billing vendor’s office.

I received a check from my insurance company, what do I do?

Many insurance companies send the reimbursement check directly to the patient. If you should receive a check, please sign the backside of the check and forwarded it to Gates Volunteer Ambulance.

Why does it cost so much for an ambulance ride?

Having a significant amount of highly trained staff, (career and volunteer) vehicles and equipment are dedicated to our community 24 hours a day 7 days a week to answer emergency 9-1-1 calls. The high cost involved in staffing, training and equipping these systems is paid for through a combination user fees that are billed to those who actually use the service and an ambulance tax district.

The fees are regulated and maintained at usual and customary rates. Gates Volunteer Ambulance maintains direct billing with nearly all-major insurance carriers, including Medicare & accepts assignment with New York State Medicaid.

Where can I pay my bill?

You can pay your bill online, by following the links provided, or pay via check. All checks must be made payable to ‘Gates Volunteer Ambulance Service’, and should be mailed to